Tow Mater is a tow truck from Radiator Springs. He is one of the main characters of Cars and the main protagonist in Cars 2.
In Cars, after Lightning McQueen got separated from his hauler, Mack, he ended up in Radiator Springs where he met new friends like Mater and Sally. Mater took an instant liking to McQueen, and they became best friends. Mater and Lightning did many things together until Doc Hudson called Lightning's manager (Harv), and Mack, along with many photographers and TV reporters, came and took him away. Lightning McQueen competed in the race, causing Mater great sadness since he didn't even get to say "goodbye". Mater and the gang came to see Lightning at the race and became his pit crew.
In Cars 2
In Cars 2 he got Lightning McQueen to compete in the World Grand Prix. Lightning, along with the other racers are given Allinol, a new type of fuel. Before the race, he and his pit crew go to a party, where Mater meet Holley Shiftwell. He answers a spy riddle correctly, and Finn McMissile and Holley Shiftwell think that Mater is a spy, and has a picture of the antagonist leader, but it turns out only to be the leader's engine. Mater infiltrates a Lemon meeting where Finn and Holley think that the antagonist leader will be, but he's not there. Finn McMissile and Holley are captured, soon followed by Mater. They are put in Big Bently, but they escape. Mater goes to warn Lightening McQueen about a bomb in the pits, but Finn finds out that the bomb is under Mater's air filter. Mater soon realizes that Miles Axlerod, the car who made up the World Grand Prix, is the main antagonist leader. He was later dubbed "Sir Tow Mater" by the Queen of England.
In Cars 3
- 5814 Mater's Yard (DUPLO)
- 5817 Agent Mater (DUPLO)
- 5828 Big Bentley (DUPLO)
- 6134 (Cars) (DUPLO)
- 8201 Radiator Springs Classic Mater (Radiator Springs variant)
- 8424 Mater's Spy Zone (Spy Mode)
- 8487 Flo's V8 Café (Radiator Springs variant)
- 8638 Spy Jet Escape (Spy Mode)
- 8639 Big Bentley Bust Out (Spy Mode with bomb)
- 8677 Ultimate Build Mater (Large Mode)
- 8679 Tokyo International Circuit (Crew Chief)
- 9479 Ivan Mater (Ivan Mater)
- 9483 Agent Mater's Escape (Spy with rockets and parachute)
- 10856 Mater's Shed (DUPLO)
- 10733 Mater's Junkyard (Juniors)
Gallery of Variants